Twelve Days of Giving
This Holiday Season give the gift of life to mothers and children in Totonicapán, Guatemala during Horizons of Friendship’s (Horizons) Twelve Days of Giving!
All proceeds to the Twelve Days of Giving will support Horizons' four-year “Maternal, Newborn and Child Health: Transforming Indigenous Lives” (MNCH) project saving the lives of Indigenous Maya K’iche’ mothers and children in Totonicapán, Guatemala.
Supporters can choose to donate on one or multiple days of the campaign, with each day featuring one of twelve essential resources needed for the project. These essential resources which are vital to improving healthcare for Indigenous mothers and children include:
· Medical equipment and medication
· Education and training for traditional midwives
· Nutritional supplements for children
and many more items.
TODAY IS DAY TWELVE OF GIVING!
ALL OF THE TWELVE DAYS OF GIVING:
Horizons embarked on its four-year MNCH project with its Guatemalan partner local PIES (Association for Health Promotion, Research and Education) in 2016 to help reduce high rates of maternal and child mortality in Totonicapán, Guatemala.
Currently 280 out of 100,000 Indigenous women in Totonicapán, Guatemala will die due to pregnancy complications. That’s 35x more likely than women in Canada.
Additionally, eight out of ten Indigenous children and infants suffer from chronic malnutrition contributing to high rates of mortality amongst this age group as well as stunted growth.
So far Horizons’ MNCH project has benefitted more than 70,000 Indigenous women, children and families and aims to reach over 200,000 by its conclusion in 2020.
The $13.2 million project is co-sponsored by Global Affairs Canada, who fund 85% of the project’s budget of which Horizons must fundraise the remaining 15%. This means Global Affairs Canada will provide a 6:1 match for every $1 received by Horizons - for every $1 you donate to this project, Global Affairs Canada will match with $6!
You can save the lives of Indigenous Maya K’iche mothers and children by supporting Horizons’ MNCH project during the Twelve Days of Giving.
To learn more about the MNCH project follow this link: https://www.horizons.ca/project-guatemala-mayan-textile-art-of-the-indigenous-women