We are always looking for talented people
who are committed to making change.
Join Our Team
Horizons is one of Canada’s leading NGOs working to help people achieve social and economic equality in Central America & Mexico. Our commitment to ending poverty and injustice in the region makes Horizons an exciting and rewarding place of work. Horizon's team uniquely apply their skills, knowledge, and dedication to empower marginalized individuals to bring lasting change in their communities.
A career at Horizons is truly a one‐of‐a‐kind experience. We look for experienced professionals who not only align with our values but also want to inspire others, drive community-driven ideas and deliver results.
Horizons of Friendship is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all our employees and workers. We seek to provide a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment based on race, creed, religion, gender, disability, national origin or age.
Finance Assistant (Part-time employee)
Job Title: Finance Assistant (Part-time employee)
Hourly – Maximum 15 hours per week
Location: Administrative Team
Reports to: Finance/Administrative Coordinator
Liaises with: Donor Relations- Administrative Officer, Thrift Shop Supervisor
Salary/Wage: $18 to $25 per hour commensurate with experience
Deadline: October 19, 2018
· Verify fundraising deposits and take to bank. Reconcile monthly to the fundraising system
· Post all thrift shop cash and cheque deposits and reconcile sales
· Code and post all payables weekly
· Reconcile staff travel advances
· Reconcile both Horizons’ credit cards monthly
· Print cheques weekly
· Reconcile bank accounts monthly
· Track staff paid-time off entitlements (vacation, sick and personal days)
· Assist Finance/Admin Coordinator in month-end tasks as assigned
· Assist Finance/Admin Coordinator in May Audit when necessary
Tasks to be cross-trained on for institutional back up
· Import fundraising batches from RE to Sage50 monthly
· Producing and reconciling monthly payroll for all staff; contract, hourly and salaried
· Prepare and submit all government remittances (ie. HST, WSIB etc.)
· Entering fundraising transactions in Raiser’s edge
· Experience in accounting and bookkeeping
· Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting practices
· Knowledge of payroll regulations and procedures
· Experience with computerized accounting in a Windows environment
· Accounting Software – Sage 50
· Fundraising Software – Raiser’s Edge
· General computer literacy
· Good interpersonal and communication skills
Qualified candidates are invited to direct their applications to Patricia Rebolledo, Executive Director, by October 19, 2018.
Applications may be sent by mail, email, or fax:
Horizons of Friendship
50 Covert Street, P. O. Box 402
Cobourg, ON K9A 4L1
We thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.