We are always looking for talented people
who are committed to making change.
Join Our Team
Horizons is one of Canada’s leading NGOs working to help people achieve social and economic equality in Central America & Mexico. Our commitment to ending poverty and injustice in the region makes Horizons an exciting and rewarding place of work. Horizon's team uniquely apply their skills, knowledge, and dedication to empower marginalized individuals to bring lasting change in their communities.
A career at Horizons is truly a one‐of‐a‐kind experience. We look for experienced professionals who not only align with our values but also want to inspire others, drive community-driven ideas and deliver results.
Horizons of Friendship is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all our employees and workers. We seek to provide a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment based on race, creed, religion, gender, disability, national origin or age.
Job Title: Thrift Shop Supervisor, contract employee (max 25 hours/week)
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Thrift Shop Assistant and volunteers
Liaises with: Finance Coordinator, Administrative/Fundraising Assistant, Finance Assistant
Wage range: $18 to $23 per hour commensurate with experience
Horizons of Friendship is a Canadian non-profit, international development agency committed to eliminating the root causes of poverty and injustice through the cooperation of people from the South and the North.
Horizons of Friendship supports Central American and Mexican partner organizations that undertake local initiatives, which further this goal.
In Canada, we raise awareness on global issues and work with Canadian organizations at the local and national levels to bring about positive and lasting change.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Supervisor oversees Horizons’ Thrift Shop. The Supervisor is responsible for day to day operations of the stores and ensuring that revenue targets are met and expenses are in line with the budget.
• Ensure smooth running of store operations including planning, organizing and carrying out sales and other promotional activities to meet revenue targets
• Use window displays and other aids for advertising and promotion
• Create and ensure a customer-friendly environment for customer shopping and browsing.
• Direct the pricing strategy
• Monitor inventory levels and make appropriate decision on disposal of excess goods
• Provide a clearly designated drop-off point for incoming goods ensuring drop off area is kept clean and free of all junk donations
• Ensure grounds are tidy and in keeping with a retail operation
• Work toward to bring in and recruit new volunteers
• Implement policies/procedures set up in the shop manual and provide guidance and support to volunteers on daily operation
• Ensure a safe and friendly workplace for volunteers.
Financial & Administration
• Maintain a daily register of sales, purchases and taxes.
• Maintain daily cash floats and petty cash for operating needs, totalling $400.
• Meet with Finance/Administrative Coordinator monthly to ensure revenues are on target and expenses are in line with the budget; provide explanations for variations.
• Prior approval of the Executive Director is required on any expenditure over $250.00.
• No authority to hire.
• Discretion and judgment needed regarding recruitment of volunteers.
• Entrepreneurial skills.
• Experience in the retail sector.
• Proven ability to work with volunteers and the public.
• Awareness of unique market and typical customer profile.
• Flair for marketing and innovation.
• Some computer skills, including basic word processing skills
• Commitment to Horizons mission and objectives.